About Me

My photo
United States
Scottish Born (Glasgow), USA bred (Brick NJ). Now living and NOT working in San Francisco. I'm a Daughter, a Sister, a Godmother,and a Friend. Volunteer, Traveler, Music & Theatre lover, and an avid Book Reader....oh yeah, and a Recruiter!

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tales of the Re-Unemployed

Well...I'm back!  I don't know if any is interested in hearing from me again, but last time I was unemployed, writing this blog kept me sane and everyone was so encouraging toward me that I thought, what the hell...I will write again and document my journey toward employment!!

I can't believe a year has gone by...almost to the day, that I last posted.  I stayed at my contract position for 13 months and was let go last Friday July 20th.  It was shocking on so many levels.  Shocking because I still loved it there despite the challenges.  Shocking because I was in the midst of another group hire of CSR's (which was something I did often).  And shocking mostly because of how it was done.  Friday night, 630pm, on the phone, while I was at Happy Hour with a couple of girlfriends.  I sobbed right in the bar!

I'll be honest, part of me felt off that whole week.  I had a bad week.  I was busy, I was emotional on a level I had never experienced (still don't know why) and I lost my shit twice in situations when I shouldn't have and that is very unlike me.  (Once with one of my best friends, and once at work!).  In no way did I think I would get fired...because if I am honest with myself, that is what happened...saying my contract ended early (I was supposed to be there through the end of December) is just a nicer way of saying it!

I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I no longer work there.  Like I said, it was challenging. But I believed in what I was doing, I loved knowing that a lot of the people I was helping were so grateful to be given the opportunity to work there and that I was making a difference to their lives.  I recruited from entry level to senior level positions and every single one of those people meant something to me and the company.  I am truly proud of the work that I did there, and despite the ending, the journey was amazing...it was the hardest yet most fun year of my recruiting career.  I learned so much about the industry and myself along the way and learned that I am a much more capable person than I knew possible.

So, here I am.  Back looking for work, BUT with a year of InHouse recruiting under my belt, and a wealth of knowledge I didn't know the last time I was unemployed.  I think that is worth something.  I also have a lot of new contacts and connections and I plan on being as proactive as I possibly can.  I've applied to a bunch of jobs already, applied for unemployment and sent my resume to everyone I can possibly think of that might be able to help.  I have no shame!!  Any and all help is appreciated, and I am not afraid to ask for it!

Heather

No comments: