About Me

My photo
United States
Scottish Born (Glasgow), USA bred (Brick NJ). Now living and NOT working in San Francisco. I'm a Daughter, a Sister, a Godmother,and a Friend. Volunteer, Traveler, Music & Theatre lover, and an avid Book Reader....oh yeah, and a Recruiter!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

One Month In...

It's been a while readers...one month actually. 

I've missed writing, but work has been so busy and I've wanted to wait a bit so I had something to say. I was at a Spark event tonight and a friend mentioned my blog and I thought...yeah...now is a good time to write!

All in all, its been a great experience.  My team are amazing and SO funny...and they welcomed me with open arms.  It gets stressful.... but someone cracks a joke and we laugh and all is better.  I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with.

It's not all wine and roses though.  I feel pretty humbled by some of the experiences I have had.  Not everything has been perfect.  Learning a new industry is harder than I imagined, and working for a large company after working for small ones for 7 years is an adjustment.  I don't always do/say the right thing.  I know I make mistakes and I can take the constructive criticism but it can sting a little, and I have (re)learn how to work in a stressful environment without panicking every time something goes wrong.  I want so badly (maybe too much) to make a good impression and work hard and sometimes that may come across the wrong way.  But I feel like everything happens for a reason, and this job at this time in my life is a growth opportunity and I am grateful for that.

The feedback from the hiring managers I am working with and speaking to the candidates though makes it all better and I go in the next day feeling really grateful to be working again... even if its just for a few months. I feel invigorated and like my old self again...like a real member of society.  I know that may sound funny but being unemployed for as long as I was is very isolating and being downtown and walking around, engaging in conversation with like-minded people does make me so incredibly happy!!

The last few weeks have been exhausting.  I went to Lodi (Ca) for a Career Fair and had a blast with my 2 co-workers and met an amazing group of people who work in our offices there.  It was hard work and a lot of extra hours, but it was a huge success and worth every minute.  This week has been a week of work and 2 volunteering events with Spark.  Yesterday was a Swap for Good for the young girls of Oasis and tonight was the Kick-Off Party for our annual Black & Pink Ball (October 21st, go to Sparksf.org for more details).  Though so VERY tired both days, doing these events feeds my soul and makes me happy.  The women of Spark are such a diverse and interesting group and I love being around them, and talking to new members about what we do makes me so proud to be a part of it.

I have no big plans this weekend.  Juan has been in Florida visiting his grandparents and comes back Friday, so I am so excited to see him!  He left right after I started working and I miss our time together. I am assured by his mother he is the same.... but also different.  I didn't think it was possible, but apparently he is even more of a little boy than before! (I see more cars in my future!).  I've missed him and can't wait to see him!

So, that is the update!  Sorry it has been so long. I will try to do better. Not just in writing but in everything!!

Heather

No comments: