About Me

My photo
United States
Scottish Born (Glasgow), USA bred (Brick NJ). Now living and NOT working in San Francisco. I'm a Daughter, a Sister, a Godmother,and a Friend. Volunteer, Traveler, Music & Theatre lover, and an avid Book Reader....oh yeah, and a Recruiter!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Let Us Begin.....A little bit about me...

I decided to start this blog because...well honestly, I am bored!!
I am currently unemployed (for the 2nd time in a year) and trying to figure out how at 37 (and a half) I am worlds away from where I thought I would be at this age. When I was in my 20's I thought I'd be married with 2 kids living in the burbs of NJ close to my parents and my younger brother. (Currently we all live far from one another!). But here I am in San Francisco, a city I love so much, divorced, single, and unemployed. Struggling to keep a roof over my head and hustling for a part-time nanny job to make up some of the gap in my income and too keep me from going insane.
One thing that keeps me sane and happy is my beautiful 3yr old godson Juan.  He is the love of my life! His mother and I met volunteering for an organization called SF CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). We had to do I think 8 weeks of training and we hit it off and became great friends.  After she had him and she asked me to be his godmother I was thrilled and honored and take my responsibility seriously. I try to see him at least once a week.  Right now that is easy.  I pick him up from school one day a week and take him to his piano lesson.  He is a constant source of joy for me..he always brightens my day!


Me & Juan last summer at the Aquarium

Although I didn't make the choice to be unemployed...divorce and singledom I did choose.  I married at 27 to a great guy who was my best friend (and incidentally the first guy I dated in California after the break up of my last NJ boyfriend), and that I loved...just not the way a wife should love her husband...and that wasn't enough to sustain a marriage and it wasn't fair to him..so I bailed at 30. At 31, I fell in love again...long story short, that didn't work out either and neither did any of relationships I entered into over the next 6 years! But right now, I am glad to be single. Its one less thing to lose sleep over. (which by the way I haven't had a decent nights sleep in months!).
So, here I am on the quest for my next job.  I was a recruiter for the last 7 years, working on a 100% commission in the arena of Financial Services. No big surprise that the last 2 years have been pretty awful. I don't know if I want to do it anymore.  I have been applying to Contract Recruiting jobs but can't seem to get my foot in the door.
I do have a dream job...I want to work for a Non-Profit or an NGO (Non-Goverment Organization) in India.  Last year after I got laid off for the first time I decided to do something I had always wanted to do and go to India and do a Volunteer Vacation.  After much research I found a company that set it up for you in India (Volunteeringsolutions.com) and set up my trip.  A friend suggested I squeeze in another country so I picked Australia and headed off to Melbourne for 5 days and then spent the next 5 1/2 weeks in New Delhi living and working at an orphange for girls.  The organization I was put together with was called Udayan Care and it was a life changing experience. I fell in love with 12 little girls and it changed my prospective on everything.
Part of doing this blog like I said is to keep me from going nuts with boredom, another part is me putting out to the universe my dream job and hoping that I somehow find it!
Wish me luck!!!
Heather




My girls...Soni, Anjeli, Pooja, Farzana, Jyoti, Bulbul, Tannu, Gudiya, Sunita, Kajal, Mamta and not pictured is Blessy...
 


 

No comments: