About Me

My photo
United States
Scottish Born (Glasgow), USA bred (Brick NJ). Now living and NOT working in San Francisco. I'm a Daughter, a Sister, a Godmother,and a Friend. Volunteer, Traveler, Music & Theatre lover, and an avid Book Reader....oh yeah, and a Recruiter!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Things are looking up!!!

I awoke to the return of my syphoned Wi-Fi!!  OH... HAPPY DAY!!!!! (And my toilet getting fixed at 8am this morning....not as exciting, but definitely necessary!).

Yesterday was pretty good!  I had my phone interview at 11am, which went well.  I will find out toward the end of the week if I will be invited in to meet the hiring manager (I spoke with a lovely HR lady in NYC  with a cool NY accent!). I am not putting all my eggs in one basket though, I am still applying to lots of jobs both here and in India. 
I also did some volunteer work yesterday at the Center for Young Women's Development in San Francisco. (cywd.org).  It "is one of the first non-profits in the United States run and led entirely by young women. From the beginning, we have organized young women who were the most marginalized in San Francisco — those in the street economies and the juvenile justice system — to design and deliver peer-to-peer education and support"  (taken from their website...not sure what the rules are about lifting info and re-publishing).  The young women were all dressed professionally and so nervous.  They were mock interviewing for an office assistant position. They had to do their resumes & cover letters and answer questions (that were given to us beforehand) just like they would in real life.  I interviewed 5 young women ... the youngest 16yrs old and the oldest 19 yrs. They all did well, and at the end we sat in a group and gave them feedback on how they did. I was impressed by their eagerness to do well and better themselves. I hope the feedback I gave will help them to get ahead in life. They helped me too.  It felt nice to be productive once again!! (and to get dressed up).

Today I pick up Juan from school.  I love the look on his face when I get there to pick him up.  He always gives me a big smile and runs toward me for a big hug and kiss. (He probably does that to his parents too, but it makes me feel special).  I take him to piano which is hilarious and makes me happy when he sings "You Are My Sunshine". ("Mary Had a Little Lamb" however sticks in my head for the rest of the evening..argh!)



So, things are looking up! I had a decent nights sleep last night (probably because I didn't nap!) although I did wake up a couple of times I just forced myself to go back to sleep and got up at 7am.

I hear my toilet finally flushing...hopefully all the bad luck flushes down too!!

Heather

No comments: