About Me

My photo
United States
Scottish Born (Glasgow), USA bred (Brick NJ). Now living and NOT working in San Francisco. I'm a Daughter, a Sister, a Godmother,and a Friend. Volunteer, Traveler, Music & Theatre lover, and an avid Book Reader....oh yeah, and a Recruiter!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

(Wo)Man in the Mirror

'I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change' - Michael Jackson "Man in The Mirror"

We all know this song. I watched the movie "Michael Jackson's - This is It" last night.  This is one of the last songs on the dvd.  It would've been a great show.

Anyway, for some reason, even though I have heard this song a million times, last night I heard it in a different way. Maybe it was because I am more aware of the bad things that go in the world these days. Until I was on my own, I wasn't much interested in the plight of the world, but since I have started volunteering, first with SFCASA (working with kids in foster care), and then in India and now with Spark! I find the world to be full of talk about making change, and very few people (who can) making those changes really happen. I've seen it though, not always first hand, but there are people out there who want to make this world a better place and I am inspired by them.

Dr.Kiran Modi, who founded Udayan Care where I worked in India is one of them.  She has brought hundreds of kids from State Orphanages and given them a home and family, and school and healthcare..opportunities these girls (and boys) would never have had if it weren't for the hard work she and her staff put in. The women who started Spark! were inspired by dedication of a  female runner and wanted to help her raise money to train and have the proper equipment...5 women, started a movement to help all women around the world...they inspire me to do more and be more aware.  There are countless others out there working for non-profits or church groups or goverment even, trying to make a difference.

It occurred to me that perhaps the reason I haven't found a job in India yet is because I still have some changing to do here before I go. Both for myself, and for my community.  I've been thinking about going back to school.  I got accepted to SF City College but still need to do the testing and figure out the Financial Aid.

I'm scared though, I wasn't good at College the first time...I guess I am older now (and less likely to skip class!).  But, I am finally discovering something I am passionate about and that is the extra push I needed!

'I'm Gonna Make A Change, For Once In My Life
It's Gonna Feel Real Good, Gonna Make A Difference
Gonna Make It Right . .'  MJ

Heather

No comments: